Re: Monowheel landing gear upstop

Subject: Re: Monowheel landing gear upstop
From: Tony S. Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 08:42:42
>> I'm no engineer, but IMHO that will not keep the wheel from hitting
the top of the tunnel.  That is a LOT of weight and the mechanical
advantage multiplies the pressure.  Even a stop out at the wheel axle
has to support the whole 1200+/- pounds.

To do the intended job it doesn't have to support the plane, it only has
to stop the overswing when you are retracting the gear. Until I put is a
stop on the side frame I could get the gear to jam in the up position.
It took me a while to work out what was happening as it only started
when I moved the brake block in line with the swing arm.

I found that if I retracted the gear quickly the arm would swing up
slightly higher than level and the brake block would just brush against
the tunnel at the top. It was very easy to pull it down grabbing the end
of the arm but just about impossible to move with the retract lever.

I am going to give Steve's mod a go as it looks like it'll do the job
nicely.

Tony