Monowheel landing gear upstop

Subject: Monowheel landing gear upstop
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 22:23:47
There have been some recent submissions about adding an upstop for the
monowheel swing arm. Basically bonding/bolting aluminum angle to the
inside of the wheel well. While working at getting things installed in
the wheel well recently I believe I have come up with a slicker way to
accomplish the same objective. The wheel well stops are subject to
shearing stresses during impact. My installation experiences compressive
stresses only.I have installed some "Tufnol" blocks on/in the upper side
of the web of the swing arm. These are bolted in place and offer a
degree of adjustability by very slightly varing their thickness.You
don't have to bond anything in place or change positioning of drilled
holes. I won't have any history with this until the plane gets up, but
it looks pretty straight forward. If I have problems with premature wear
or deformation of the blocks they can be widened or made into one piece
for increased bearing surface. I used the phenolic material instead of
something metallic to ensure that the stop would be damaged before the
aircraft componentry.I have posted photosof this installation on Bob
Jacobson's web page atwww.europa-usa.com under modifications.Any
comments or ramblings are welcomeSteveA143Mesa, AZ--- Steve Hagar---
hagargs@earthlink.net