Re: smooth prime

Subject: Re: smooth prime
From: DJA727@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 01:17:30
In a message dated 11/11/2002 4:42:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tonyk@kaon.co.nz writes:

> You could always cover it in Top Gloss for the year and a half and then
> simply peel it off to leave good primer.
>
> grrrrrrrrr!

Hey Tony,

I once talked to a Europa builder who had the problem with top gloss and ploy
fiber paid to have his airplane repainted -- even using another product. You
might be able to do a similar thing. If you go that route, poly fiber sells a
solvent based top coat that is supposed to work well. I am avoiding the toxic
fumes myself. Today, I have all but the port wing and the fuselage to finish
coat. I have worked about 50 hours in the last 4 days. I just did the wing
and it sure is hard to get the finish right. I can't draw conclusions until
the paint has cured for several days. Right now it look s terrible at about 2
hours out. I just make sure I have "enough" paint applied and hope for the
best.

I am using aircraft finishing systems 2 part polyurethane water borne finish
coat and their primer underneath (on top of smooth prime). I can't wait to
get this over with - I must say I don't care for the finishing work!

Dave
A227
Mini U2