Re: smooth prime

Subject: Re: smooth prime
From: david.hillam@cwctv.net
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 23:39:42
--1037144382211

I heard about some people having problems with Poly Fiber just as I was about to
apply Top Gloss.  The UK distributor advised that the problem was due to
moisture
content in the (UV) Smooth Prime.

My UV Smooth Prime had been applied many months earlier but I brought all the
parts
that I could into the house (including the wings) put the temperature up
to 30+ with dehumidifier for 24+ hours.  The result seems OK but it hasn't flown
yet.

It would be interesting to know whether those who have had trouble were able to
control humidity well.

David

David Hillam

--1037144382211

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:51:38 +1300
From: "Tony S. Krzyzewski" <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>

>>> Are you sure that the Smooth Prime isn't the root of the problem?
e.g. the
high talc content would easily adsorb surface contamination, which may
 only be removable by further sanding immediately prior to next (final)
coat.

Not unless the entire primer surface over six separate top coating
sessions was contaminated. Feedback indicates that it's a Top Gloss
problem and not a Smooth Prime problem. I've just done an ad hoc test
with a Spies Hecker polyurethane test pot and it has stuck very well to
a Smooth Primed surface that a couple of days before wouldn't hold the
Top Gloss.

Tony

--1037144382211--