Re: Digital scales and Smart Tool

Subject: Re: Digital scales and Smart Tool
From: J R \Bob\ Gowing <gowingjr@acr.net.au>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 21:41:51
for Ian Swankie

I have a set of scales reading to 0.1 gram which I have used for all the
epoxy work. It weighs up to about 180 grams.
For Araldite 420
Make a table showing quantities for the total weights you will use.
Put container on scales and press button so it sets on 0.0gms
Use wooden stick to dip yellow resin like heavy grease from tin and scrape
it off onto the side of the container. Take back excess if you go over
weight.
---From your table check the total weight you are aiming for and pour in the
blue hardener, reducing to drips as you near the total required.
If you go over by 0.1 or 0.2 gms, you can use absorptive paper towel to wick
some out until exactly correct. Throw the blue part of the towel in the bin.
Mix until uniform colour, making sure to scrape around the sides and get all
the yellow resin into the mix.

In big mixes like 160 grams for the cockpit module, I measured into separate
pots for resin and hardener and set them out prior to getting the gang
together. The mixing can then be done as required, moving contents from pot
to pot so the quantity in each cup will not be enough to exotherm.

I used a similar system for Ampreg;
First the hardener, then add resin to reach 5 times the weight of the
hardener as the total mix weight.
Occasionally I added too much resin and had to add 1/4  or the weight of the
excess resin.

I believe you can use a spirit level and do OK.
JR (Bob) Gowing, Kit 327 in Oz

snipped