Re: Digital scales and Smart Tool

Subject: Re: Digital scales and Smart Tool
From: Jeremy Davey <jeremyda@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 09:44:43
A word of caution to anyone thinking of buying one the Michael
Engineering/Rook Metering resin pumps: they seem to have a QA problem at
present. While those manufactured some time ago seem to have provided
good service - and certainly the one used for the weekend workshops at
the Europa factory works very well - recent examples are giving
problems.

I base this advice on my own experiences, and I am told that at least
one other builder has given up on his.

I bought one in March this year with my Stage 1. On first use I found it
was putting thick black 'oil slicks' in the resin and hardener, and had
a very rough travel. The problem is believed to be the steel piston
rubbing on the aluminium cylinder block. I was shipped replacement pump
modules, and they were no better. Ditto a third set - which were
supposed to have been hand-picked for quality. Ditto a complete
replacement pump.

I've spent hours stripping, cleaning, reassembling and calibrating my
pump and 8 months on from original delivery I still don't have a working
pump and have completed my Stage 1 using digital scales. On top of that
a fair amount of Ampreg has been ruined by the problem. I'm currently
waiting from response from Michael's on what the problem is - they have
sourced some Ampreg in the US and are checking it out in a pump. If all
is well, they're going to ship me a working, checked out pump. I've
heard nothing of note on that front in the last couple of months,
though.

In fairness to the Europa factory who sold me the pump, they've been
excellent and have been very helpful. It's just that they've been badly
let down by the manufacturer of the pump.

If I get any joy before I finish my plane, I'll post it here...

Regards,
Jeremy

Jeremy Davey

Europa XS Monowheel 537M G-EZZA