Re: Digital scales and Smart Tool

Subject: Re: Digital scales and Smart Tool
From: Nick Hammond <Nick.Hammond@saabsystems.com.au>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 23:36:36
>1. What is the best way to measure Redux accurately? Do we need digital scales

An easy and much less expensive way is to make a simple beam balance (like a
child's
see-saw) from a piece of wood or particle board. Mine took about 15 minutes
to make. It is about 75mm by 20mm and 1m long. One end has a recess to hold
a mixing cup in a fixed position. The fulcrum is a 5mm bolt through the centre
which rests on a piece aluminium channel. You need 8 balance weights -- I use
10mm metal nuts.
To use it:
o        Put the empty mixing cup in its recess and use one of the weights to
balance
the beam.
o        Put the required amount of resin in the cup and rebalance the beam
using
a group of five weights (these must be kept together and the same distance
---From the fulcrum).
o        Add two more weights to the group of five (all seven must now be the
same
distance from the fulcrum).
o        Add hardener to the mixing cup with a dropper until the beam is in
balance
again.

This produces the required 5:2 ratio and is arguably more accurate than the
two-cup
scale method in the manual as it avoids the accuracy problems of residual
hardener or resin left in the empty cup when the two are mixed. It works for
resin as well as Redux by adjusting the number of weights (4:1 instead of 5:2).
It is equally effective for small and large amounts (a second mixing cup
position
half way down the beam is useful for very large quantities).

Best regards,

Nick