Europa-List: Re: New engine runs a little rough when weather is cold.

Subject: Europa-List: Re: New engine runs a little rough when weather is cold.
From: n7188u <chmgarb@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 06:29:40

Thanks for the info Bud. I was indeed familiar with the enrichment feature of
the
Bing, as compared to a regular choke, but didn't know that it could actually
lean the mixture if applied in the air. Interesting.

It is clear from all the feedback that the 912S can suffer from carb ice. The
reason
I didn't quite jump to the conclusion that this is the issue I'm having
is because I have experienced carb ice in airplanes with Lycoming engines and
it presents itself in a different way, much more violent and over a broader RPM
range. Also, last time I had this issue, it showed itself when I powered back
---From a brief climb to 1000' (from SL) and it manifested itself immediately
when
I moved the throttle back to midrange. I would think carb ice would take a
little longer to build up (but what do I know).

Something I am going to check is to make 100% the "choke" is closing fully. I
have
checked it many times but will be more discerning. I am also going to check
for any hot carb bowls as you recommend.

Still, I am going to explore the possibility that the mixture is going lean.
This
is a tough one for me to believe because the EGTs don't seem to show that is
happening but the plug color is. I do know the Bings have aggressive midrange
economizer settings (lean) so I want to experiment with that. Low engine temps
are also bugging me.

And yes, I will look at the hot water jacket although not a fan right now of the
idea of having to install these.

Will report back.
Chris

Read this topic online here: