Re: Europa-List: Re: New engine runs a little rough when weather is cold

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: New engine runs a little rough when weather is cold.
From: Kingsley Hurst <kingsnjan@westnet.com.au>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 20:58:02

Hello again Chris,

When I read your post, my immediate suspicion was carby ice hence my
query. I am not suggesting you definitely have icing problems but I do
think it is worth considering it as a possibility.

Indeed Rotax don't provide any form of carb heat and I suspect this is
because they are perfectly happy to have the engines sucking hot air
under the cowl.

I have a home made intake plenum to supply cold air with as much ram air
as I can produce. My plenum is sealed to the top cowl in an effort to
prevent any loss of ram air pressure. This is not sanctioned by Rotax
of course.

With the cold air entering, I figured that it would only be a matter of
time before I got some carb icing so I purchased a hot water type Carby
Heat kit from Lockwood Aviation in the USA their being the main Rotax
agent in the US I believe.

Touch wood, this set-up has served me well for almost 400 hrs now and I
have never had an icing problem. There is certainly nothing wrong with
the way the engine runs. The good thing about this sort of carb heat is
that it stays on permanently with an undetectable power loss as opposed
to under cowl hot air induction.

Best
Kingsley

On 01.02.23 8:05 am, n7188u wrote:

> Thanks for the postings guys. Some answers:
>
> 1- The carb bowl vents are located in the plenum.
> 2- I have no provisions for carb heat since neither the stock Europa has it
> nor
Rotax provides it unless I go aftermarket.
> 3- The engine has 70 hours in it total but I did check the clutch at 25 hours.
51 NM (38 ft*lb). I can check it again.