Re: Europa-List: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week - 08/11/

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week - 08/11/22
From: William Daniell <wdaniell.longport@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 20:10:57
if youre looking for the exotic you could of course try the well proven
colombian 912 turbo...

William Daniell
+1 786 878 0246

On Fri, Nov 11, 2022, 06:34 Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com> wrote:

> My experience conversing with Edge=99s principal over the years, fw
iw, is
> that he is chock full of confidence, many good ideas but peppered with so
me
> critical bad ones -which he will not acknowledge, and lets his customers
> =9Cprove him wrong=9D. And some have (ex: cracked/failed weld
ed crank). Too few
> accumulated hours to tease out all that pepper.
>
> Same syndrome as Jan at viking (although Jan even lacks the engineering
> basics).
>
> Difficult to watch.
>
> Cheers,
> PeteZ
>
> On Nov 11, 2022, at 6:13 AM, Brian Phillips <barp99@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> =EF=BB Bud, thanks very much for your well laid out advice below, much
> appreciated, your background knowledge never ceases to amaze me.
>
> You have talked me out of the 915, the thought of doing all the retrofit
> work, along with the  weight issues, its just not worth it, and I would
> never finish it. I am still interested in the 912Is, & was thinking about
> the Edge 1484cc big bore kit. Your comments below about some of the US
> based big bore kits has got me thinking again. 10.5:1 CR does seem a litt
le
> high, combined with no detonation detection feedback loop, does sound a b
it
> risky. Edge performance don't play with the Rotax FI software, they suppl
> a fuel pressure reg that increases the rail pressure, so the pump/s are
> working harder, again an added risk. Add to that limited operational
> history, makes the 914 look an even better outcome. As you say, 20,000
> compromises flying in close formation.
>
> Cheers,
> Brian Phillips.
>
> On 11/11/2022 4:34 am, Bud Yerly wrote:
>
> Pete, as you are most aware and Brian you are learning fast:
>
> Weight is the enemy of an airplane.  Especially the Europa, as it is a
> very compact aircraft.  If I add 15 horsepower, but it moves the CG
> forward, requires a prop extension and a constant speed prop, the CG is
> going to be somewhere around the spinner.  Now we move the battery back,
> run longer heavier cables and as much more to the rear as possible such a
> autopilots, ELTs, etc. to counterbalance the nose. The weight just keeps
> going up.  The Europa XS is 100 pounds heavier than the equivalent Europa
> Classic even with the XS fuselage module and firewall forward.  The 912
> 80 HP is not a spectacular performer but will give 30 ANMPG at low altitu
de
> or with a leaning device at altitudes up to about 10,000 feet. Cruise is
in
> the 120-130 knot range.  The 912S raised the cruise about 5 knots more.
The
> [...]
> higher altitude operations and frankly ideal for the Europa but at a high
er
> cost. I believe the 914 totally transformed the Europa into a great
> airplane. Reliability of the 914 is now as good as the 912S but as we all
> know, there are techniques and inspections required to keep it running li
ke
> new.
>

> Normally a 912 through the 914 will go 1000 hours with only carb
> maintenance/oil changes.  Overspeed of the engine is an issue many ignore
.
> The valves can and do contact the piston if oversped.  Prop strikes are
> ignored also by many STOL operators and taildragger/mono.
>
> I do a top overhaul at about 500-600 hours (gearbox, clean up the valves,
> inspect the rings/cylinders) and press on.  Repeat at 1000 hours and the
> engine is good to 1500 hours.  The cleanup of the valves restores
> compression to like new or better than new and is really a surprise when
> 914 burps after only about 5 blades of rotation.
>

> I have no experience with the latest Edge Performance engines, but I do
> with the so called "Big Bore" engines done here in the States some years
> ago.  They do put out more power.  But for how long?  Over the years the
> stock Rotax 100 HP 912S (especially the new blocks) last and last.  Most
> of the Big Bores were back in after as short as 200 hours.  But we have
> many cowboys here in the States that just want more power but won't pay f
or
> it to get power *and reliability*.  I was around for the first of these
> Big Bore mods.  As Edge Performance has found out, the crank shaft, and
> many other formally robust Rotax parts are now under more stress and
> required "upgrade".  This costs money.  My hats off to them, as they have
> at least backed their engines.  In their defense, some of our =9Cco
wboys=9D
> here in the States are running regular car fuel.  This causes detonation
> for sure. I can=99t fix stupid!
>

> If you need more power keep in mind in general you will need more gas,
> gain weight, reduce reliability, increase inspection requirements, requir
> greater cooling mass, and of course add cost.  An airplane is 20,000
> compromises flying in close formation.  If you change one thing, you
> affect 20 others.  Choose wisely.
>

> Example:  Charts are scare still for the 915.
>
> 5000 RPM wide open throttle 87 KW or about 115 HP (10-20 more than the 91
4
> depending on MP and TCU.) Fuel flow 27 L/hr or 7.1GPH.
>
> A 20 HP increase on N12AY (Trigear) yields a cruise speed increase of
> nearly 10-13 Kts above 10,000 feet which is better than most.
>
> However, the range in Air Nautical Mile per Gallon does not increase it
> decreases from about 25 ANMPG to 20 ANMPG.
>

> The Europa drag goes up beyond 140 Knots by a cube root for the trigear.
 The
> mono is much better at still basically a square root curve.  More
> horsepower doesn=99t give me impressive efficiency or speed.
>

> The 914 fits easily in the Europa XS, will cool, accepts a constant speed
> prop without issue or added extensions, has a reasonable fuel burn and
> will get you to 10,000 feet in about 11-13 minutes in a cruise climb.  I
> can put out 70 to 95 horsepower continuous for cruise (typically 140-145
> for a trigear) or max speed.  Both the 912S/iS and Big Bore require the
> same octane fuel as the 914 so no advantage.  The 914 turbo takes care of
> most of the issues with density altitude, it allows the Bing to work
> ideally from cruise to max continuous from the surface to service ceiling
> (which is well above 25,000 which is our human physiological limit withou
> cabin pressurization).  We know how to maintain it, the TCU has been
> modified and I can setup, troubleshoot or simply run a data dump from my
> laptop running Windows 7 through 10 without a special dongle.  I don
=99t
> have Windows 11 yet, but it should work also.  Carbs are easy to balance,
> and the installation manual is easy to follow.  Always follow the engine
> installation manual in conjunction with the airframe firewall forward
> manual .
>

> The 915 was never designed to fit a standard Rotax engine mount and does
> not fit most experimental aircraft firewall forwards.  Extensive work is
> necessary to retrofit the 915 to a 912/914 airframe.  The 915 is
> unmaintainable but for plugs and oil change without a =9Cbuds
=9D system for the
> average owner to tell you what it=99s doing but the troubleshooting
 manual is
> a bit sparce.  Much study and patience is needed as the 915 goes through
> its teething issues.  It runs lean on the ground like the 912iS and will
> overheat easily during an extended taxi out.  Automatic systems means you
> the pilot lose control.  Many 912iS owners hate the power drop off and
> find economy only comes through lower power.  They have found fuel burn
> is the same for the same speed after an engine change from the S to the i
S.
> The 915 has a similar issue with the power requirements.  It is not like
> hopping into your BMW tubo and everything works.  It is still like the
> 1980=99s first gen fuel injection and turbo mods.  Today it all wor
ks
> flawlessly in our autos, but with larger cooling requirements and
> components taking up more space under the hood.  The 915 is not quite a
> plug and play engine electrically either.  Look at Sling and their
> learning curve.  The 4 place needs 140-150 HP.  The two place not so much
.
> Guys are looking hard at the difference.
>

> In summary, the Europa was designed for about 100HP engines of light
> weight.  It is fast and efficient for a 100HP 500 pound payload airplane.
> More weight makes the induced drag go up.  The mono airframe was not
> designed to go faster than about 170 KTAS at 20,000 feet at an empty weig
ht
> of 900 pounds.  If you go above 900 pounds empty weight, the plane gets
> sluggish, speed drops and range is decreased.  In the States, a 1000 mile
> per day range airplane is essential for getting around west of the
> Mississippi river. For my snow birds coming from Canada to Florida for
> the winter, they need that range also.  Frankly, a bigger engine makes
> for shorter hops, less payload, and a longer day.   More horsepower is
> not as important as more torque.  Torque turns the prop, HP just makes it
> spin up faster.
>

> Keep it light, keep it simple, and it will be a trouble-free steed with
> stock components.  Work on drag reduction and keeping the weight down.  N
ot
> by slapping more horsepower, weight, complexity, and cost on a very small
> airframe.
>

> Just my thoughts.
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Bud Yerly

.matronics.com%2Fviewtopic.php%3Fp%3D508643%23508643&amp;data=05%7C01%7C%
7C95fbe6d1f864429d6f9408dac3137511%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7
C0%7C638036785611267994%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjo
iV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=Dmjfwqv
qQBLFoORotf%2FyaLw%2FmFIOZbrmrQPIcMlLUf4%3D&amp;reserved=0

>           - The Europa-List Email Forum -
>
>    -->
> https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ma
tronics.com%2FNavigator%3FEuropa-List&amp;data=05%7C01%7C%7C95fbe6d1f8644
29d6f9408dac3137511%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C6380367856
11267994%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTi
I6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=wm%2FStj0pmmpyz3Mig2Ln
RkBfFdsMx6SLnhjzkK37%2Bc0%3D&amp;reserved=0

>                - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
>
>    -->
> https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums
.matronics.com%2F&amp;data=05%7C01%7C%7C95fbe6d1f864429d6f9408dac3137511%
7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638036785611267994%7CUnknown%7
CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn
0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=ycdDH2pLsucuLwZ1D%2BRcZsnydcBK5AXdQ6ZEjp%2
FjBDQ%3D&amp;reserved=0

>               - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
>
>    -->
> https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwiki.m
atronics.com%2F&amp;data=05%7C01%7C%7C95fbe6d1f864429d6f9408dac3137511%7C
84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638036785611267994%7CUnknown%7CT
WFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%
3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=H82eUxCpMT3FC%2B47WY13DthUPxRlKcO8Slvw4b4BIv
4%3D&amp;reserved=0

>              - List Contribution Web Site -
>
>   Thank you for your generous support!
>
>                               -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
>
>    -->
> https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmatro
nics.com%2Fcontribution&amp;data=05%7C01%7C%7C95fbe6d1f864429d6f9408dac31
37511%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638036785611267994%7CUnk
nown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJX
VCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=%2BJyIGhvIq4pT7mzs62M9oV5AvbuxUVmXHU
lH%2FDEvC%2Bg%3D&amp;reserved=0