Re: Europa-List: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week - 08/11/

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week - 08/11/22
From: Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 17:32:58

Minor nit:  theoretically the 912S should get slightly better efficiency/economy
than the 914 due to the 914s lower compression ratio by necessity (iff the
mixture
of the 912S is properly leaned to the correct ratio as one climbs).

Cheers,
PeteZ

> On Nov 10, 2022, at 5:05 PM, lantieau <Europa@antieau.org> wrote:
>

> These are great insights, thanks for providing details.  It does seem there
> are
significant advantages to the 914 vs a 912S.  The focus always seems to be
on maximizing speed at the cost of range.

> If you're flying at high altitude with a 914 with a decent tailwind, does it
make sense to pull the power to a low cruise setting to save fuel while keeping
a reasonable speed?  You mention that we should expect 25 ANMPG with a 914.
What does that number look like at a reduced power setting at altitude?

> My thinking is that a low power cruise would allow to sacrifice some speed in
exchange for more time aloft, in the end, increasing range and ANMPG.  With a
914, what is the optimal power setting/altitude to mazimize fuel economy/range
assuming wind is not a factor?