Europa-List: RE: Seat cushion question

Subject: Europa-List: RE: Seat cushion question
From: Erich Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 10:34:04
Chris,

Like others have mentioned, I too found lumbar support to be critical.  I ma
de my own cushions using temperfoam (one layer of green and blue) for the se
at bottoms which I cut to shape and reattached to conform with the cockpit m
odule seat pan.  See picture.

For the seat back, I used a seat cushion from an old Jeep Cherokee that my n
eighbor donated to the project.  I sculpted it to follow the seat back (same
 angle as the head rest.  The cushion is approximately 1=9D thick at t
he top and 5=9D at the bottom providing excellent lumbar support.  Whe
n installed in the aircraft the upper portion of the the seat back is up aga
inst the upper part of the cockpit module (the same surface that the head re
st attaches to.  This creates a pocket behind the cushion as the cockpit mod
ule transitions to vertical.  I fill the space with a roll of paper towels, w
indow cleaner and rags, fuel tester and a few other tools.  The front of the
 seat back cushion contacts seat bottom cushion just few inches from the cre
ase in the lower seat as it extends forward.  Hope that makes sense.  See pi
cture.

When I am seated my rear end and tail bone is on the inclined portion of the
 lower seat cushion.  I must say it is very comfortable.  I fly over 5 hour l
egs when I travel cross county and no discomfort.  Don=99t get me wron
g I am ready to get out of the plane at this point.  Five hours sitting is a
 long time no matter how comfortable the seat.  BTW, I am 6=991=9D
 tall.

Erich
N28ET
Classic Mono 914