Re: Europa-List: funny fuel gauge

Subject: Re: Europa-List: funny fuel gauge
From: Norbert P. Hoffmann <norberthoffmann1@alicedsl.de>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 10:38:40

Hello,
D-EUPA has the same trouble as you all have indicated here. To correct the
missreading when filling up wit Avgas or Mogas, I came to the same conclusion
then Ferg did: the capacitance gauge wants to know what it's looking at.
However, my solution was a bit different.

A second, shorter (about 10 cm) capacitance probe is being buried horizontally

down into the lowest position of the tank. I already have a micro controller
on board to convert the fuel level to volume, so I could feed the reading of
the short probe to the micro controller. The short probe would be giving a
capacitance reading the correlates to the -defined- length of it. That value
would than be used to calibrate the real fuel probe - just a bit of
arithmetic is needed. The obvious advantage: even a mixture of Avgas and
Mogas would result in a correct reading.

Will I change my setup to the above? Probably not. I consider one more
alternative, namely going to the factory mod 60 schema. Much simpler, and
probably more reliable.

Norbert, D-EUPA