Re: Europa-List: Funny fuel gauge

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Funny fuel gauge
From: R Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 08:09:32
--> Europa-List message posted by: R Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>

Jeremy Davey wrote:
> --> Europa-List message posted by: "Jeremy Davey"
> <EuropaFlyer_3@msn.com>
>
> Nigel,
>
> Agreed 100%. Club members will be interested to note
> that the mod I've put forward for conversion into a
> Standard Mod and mentioned in the last Europa Flyer
> allows the sight gauge to be deleted IF AND ONLY IF two
> systems differing in their operation are implemented
> for measuring fuel level.
>
> Such systems might include:
>
> Capacitance gauges (see existing Club mod) Magnetic
> gauges (see Factory mod) Integrator (aka totaliser)
> Float gauge
>
> While I wrote it to allow the generic case in order
> that it could become a useful standard mod, in my own
> case I am using twin capacitance probes (one each side,
> although only one on the main side is actually
> required) and an integrator.
>
> Regards, Jeremy

Why are you changing the spec to a doubled up system ?

The original sight tube was perfectly acceptable as a
(single) means of checking fuel level. When the Europa
fuel gauge came out we fitted that (during the build) and
deleted the sight gauge. So we still had one means of
checking the fuel level. No change.

So why now insist on two means of checking ? Completely
unnecessary, AND there is a danger that if it gets written
into a standard mod that way there will be a requrement
for ALL aircraft to have two means of checking. And that
IS not needed at tthe moment.

I do of course record all the fuel I put in (on a sheet of
paper) and whenever I overdo it and the filler slops over
I record the approximate amount I put in and record that
the tank was absolutely full at that point. Over the 2500
litres I have put in so far the fuel burn has been
reasonably consistent, remembering I tend to only do short
hops - 20 - 60 minutes.

Richard Holder
G-OWWW - 51 - High Cross