Re: Top Gloss

Subject: Re: Top Gloss
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 14:31:44
"Tony S. Krzyzewski" wrote:

> ... By the end of the afternoon
> I had peeled off the paint from both stabilators, one flap and one
> aileron .. all with little more than my fingernails and the edge of a
> knife.
>
> Once I have done all of the surfaces I am going to pack up all the mess
> and post it to Polyfiber and tell them what I think of the product!

Saddening to hear that, but you _know_ what their reply will be! :-)

I tested an identical product, System Three, on a stab and the
firewall, but won't use it...or any poly now, water or solvent.  Poly
is too hard, a bear to compund/buff, and difficult to spot repair. And
yes even staining, from a rusty washer and the rubber on an Adel
clamp.  But unable to bird-crap-test, but no bets on grass and
blueberries in the diet.

I recently repaired an accident-damged STOL wingtip for someone,
finishing in acrylic base/clear and was reminded how much easier it
is, with equivalent gloss.  In a recent issue of Sport Aviation,
expert Ron Alexander opined a caution about poly on fiberglass - can
be overly stiff he says.  The Imron on the other plane is 15 years
old, and the fiberglass parts started showing signs of failure at
about age 10.  Especially the parts exposed to both engine heat and
sun, like the fiberglass nose bowl - dulling and mud-cracking, but not
the aluminum top cowl so exposed, nor even plastic elsewhere.  Who
knows why that is, but I now figure the shorter longevity of acrylic
enamel isn't a problem, as a finicky paint that outlasts dings,
abrasions, and stains doesn't now seem to make much sense.

Best,
Fred F.