Re: altitude oscillations

Subject: Re: altitude oscillations
From: Augustene Brown <augustene@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 12:33:40
Dave I would check the linkage from the elevator  servo motor to the to the
bellcrank, for slack in the linkage. I would also check the linkage from the
bellcrank to the anti servo trim pins, If you find none there I would then
check the elevator push rod for slack in that system. Have somebody hold the
elevator stable, and then try to move the control stick to see if slack is in
that system.

One other thing I would check is the autopilot. We just had  a  S-Tec
autopilot installed in a Cessna 172. Once we engaged the autopilot the plane
would start to "Dutch roll" at speeds less than 90 mph. Above 90 mph there was
no problem. Our problem was speed related and it turned out that the factory
gain control ,was incorrectly set by the factory. Once the unit was reprogramed
the problem went away.

Jim Brown
N398JB.