Europa-List: Oil Thermostat

Subject: Europa-List: Oil Thermostat
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 18:07:11

Nigel Graham wrote:

>> From the postings on this group over the years, it
>> would seem that there is
> more concern with new builds running too hot - than too
>  cool.

Mine (912 S 170 hours) runs too cool except in the climb.

> The thermostats primary purpose is to increase engine
> temperature (it cannot improve cooling)

It can improve cooling. Mine was running cold so i blanked
off half the oil cooler and it was like that throughout
the summer of 2003.

With the thermostat the oil cooler can be completely
uncovered as the thermostat will control the amount of oil
going through it and therefore its cooling effect. So in
very very hot weather the thermostat directs all the oil
through the cooler which can be used to its fullest
extent. In cold weather it is almost completely blanked
off keeping the oil nice and warm.

The flaw in this argument as I have found is that in the
cruise the oil just doesn't get enough heat pushed into it
to even reach the 80 degrees at which point the thermostat
will control it to 80 degrees. I am considering lagging
the oil pipes AND the oil tank to keep the heat in ! This
was found in 2 degree weather ! Maybe in 10 degree weather
it would be OK !

> A well designed duct with a lightweight vane to control
> airflow (operated
> either manually or by servo) would weigh grams rather
> than the kilos of an oil thermostat system.

Oil thermostat - 251 grams !

This is gonna run and run and run :-)

Richard