RE: Europa-List: Oil Thermostat

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Oil Thermostat
From: R.C.Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:43:56

Hi! Richard.
I appreciated the error of my statement as soon as I pressed the send
key.
My point was that in air cooled engines the oil isn't the primary
cooling medium. In the Jabiru case the sump has cooling fins BUT when
over filled the thing overheats, half fill it and it stays cool!
Thus in the established cruise there is no need for an oil cooler
whatever. But when major power is required during which I accept the oil
is obviously taking heat to the cooler as is the sump a heat sink on a
conventional engine without an oil cooler but the primary cooling is by
water circulation.
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG Europa MKI/Jabiru 3300