Re: Europa-List: Oil Thermostat

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Oil Thermostat
From: Duncan McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:39:30

The heated and expanded wax causes the thermostat to open against spring
pressure. As the wax cools, the valve is closed by the spring pressure, not
"suction" of contracting wax, which would probably cavitate anyway.
As such, when the wax is lost there is nothing to push the valve open and
the spring returns it to the closed position, so failing in that position.

I agree that the older mechanical versions fail closed.

The Mocal version of oil thermostat bypasses the cooler when "closed".

Duncan McF