Re: Europa-List: RE: Oil Thermostat

Subject: Re: Europa-List: RE: Oil Thermostat
From: Nigel Graham <nigelgraham@btclick.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:54:04

Way to go Gilles.
You have created the ideal oil cooling system that I was describing (albeit
with manual control).

Since this discussion is nicely "on-the-boil" (pun totally intended) - here
is another aspect to consider - weight.
>From the postings on this group over the years, it would seem that there is
more concern with new builds running too hot - than too cool.
The thermostats primary purpose is to increase engine temperature (it cannot
improve cooling) so its main benefit is to get the engine up to temperature
more quickly following start-up. For the entire rest of the flight - the
thermostat, its pipework, clips, mounting brackets and the additional oil
needed to fill the new pipework is simply dead weight being lugged around
the sky increasing fuel consumption and reducing performance.

A well designed duct with a lightweight vane to control airflow (operated
either manually or by servo) would weigh grams rather than the kilos of an
oil thermostat system.
On a heavier certified aircraft this is not such an issue, but on the Europa
any weight saving improves performance.

Nigel