Re: Europa-List: RE: Oil Thermostat

Subject: Re: Europa-List: RE: Oil Thermostat
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 18:53:33

josok wrote:

> Hi Nigel, Bob,

> OA, the German Rotax dealer has as a Rotax addon an oil
>  thermostat available. This is a thermostat with 4 !
> connections, and only changes the oil flow through the
> radiator or direct. So, if this thermostat is closed,
> the oil pressure does not even have to deal with the
> resistance of the radiator.  If this thermostat would
> hang closed, you would notice a rise in oil
> temperature, if it stays open, oil would not reach a
> sufficient temperature.  IMHO, a manual operated flap
> or anything that adds to (this new-by) pilot workload
> is more error-prone.

> Regards,
>
> Jos Okhuijsen

Is that OA the dealer ? I thought the dealer was
Franz-aircraft, who do indeed have an oil thermostat. Not
approved here, but it works in exactly the same way as the
one that is approved.

They also have a water thermostat and we have no
equivalent of that approved ;-(

By the way - the oil going through the oil cooler (and the
thermostat) is not under pressure, it is being SUCKED into
the engine from the tank by the oil pump. Do not put the
oil cooler in the oil line between the sump and the oil tank.

Richard