Re: Europa-List: Europa-list: fitting gascolator

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa-list: fitting gascolator
From: Bryan Allsop <bryan@blackballclub.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 22:36:35

My experience is the same as Gary's. 100's of hours with no problems using
the Europa in line filters.

One exception though! I normally filter when using mogas. On one occasion
this year I used a can of someone else's mogas en-route to France. One hour
later the fuel pressure dropped really low, even with the electric pump
doubling up. I switched to the other fuel line with the second filter, and
the pressure came back up. After landing I cleaned a load of rubbish out of
the first filter, the second was clean.

I flew the rest of the trip around France on the first filter without
problem. Some weeks later the problem started to come back, so I stripped
the filter again and examined the debris under a microscope. Surprisingly,
the contents looked like scraps of ant bodies. Legs, heads, body parts. It
has never recurred, but how they got in there is a test of the imagination.

Cheers.  Bryan Allsop