Re: Europa-List: Europa-list: fitting gascolator

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa-list: fitting gascolator
From: BEBERRY@AOL.COM
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 04:26:10

I have been following the fuel filter thread with interest.   Having run a
PA28 for a good many years and NEVER having a fuel problem,  except for a VERY

occasional drop of water - which is easily disposed of  pre flight by the drain

valves. I am inclined to think that the problems  of grot in the filters
arises entirely from an accumulation of matter  caused by interaction between
the

fuel and the tank material. It seems to  me that this is something that the
manufacturers' boffins could easily  remedy.

I have had to clean out carbs to get rid of ' snot' which I have  never seen
on any other aircraft.

The point made yesterday, that in keeping the filters easily  accessible, is
also valid.  It is essential , in my view, that this  is the case so that both

pre flight and inflight inspections can be  made.  The filters in my 914 are
parallel, with the pumps and very  easily disconnected and cleaned out.  I
have never found any grot in  there but will continue to do this at regular
intervals.

Another view, expressed by someone who has far more technical and  general
Europa experience than I, is that both pumps should be on all the  time.

Comments appreciated.

Patrick