Re: Europa-List: Europa-list: fitting gascolator

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa-list: fitting gascolator
From: Mike Parkin <mikenjulie.parkin@btopenworld.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 08:44:29

> The filters supplied by Europa Aircraft have none of those characteristics
> and are therefore potentially dangerous. This is especially true as most
> of us are using Mogas which is more likely to be contaminated, even when
> using a filtering funnel at every fill up.  The dual filter arrangement is
> a big improvement but is not fully satisfactory. Keep in mind that the
> filter has the most chance to clog and the engine to stop, when the fuel
> flow is maximum, i.e. during the take off phase. I believe you would crash
> before having time to switch to the other filter, should that happen to
> you.
>
> Remi Guerner
>
> F-PGKL, XS S/N395 monowheel,   288 hours on a 914 + 89 hours since fitted
> with the 912S.

Remi,

I have the original pump and filter layout for a 914 installation.  On the
original installation there is no facility to switch to a second filter.
Fuel flow through the standby filter depends totally on the standby pump.
My experience has shown that what contamination there may be in the system,
it has never manifested itself in the 'standby filter'.  Possibly because I
only use the secondary pump during critical flight phases (generally below
1000' AGL).  That means if following the correct operating procedures, both
pumps are ON during take-off and initial climb - therefore both filters and
both pumps are in use when the fuel flow is at a maximum.  Switching from
MAIN to RESERVE will only be of benefit if there is a flow restriction
before the fuel selector. ( perhaps the finger strainer - which is were I
understand Bob Harrison's problem was.)

Incidentally, I did have a splutter in the cruise when I purposely ran the
MAIN side down to get a feel for the usuable fuel indication. (Overhead the
field!!).  I fitted a fuel Low Pressure light to G-JULZ - the light blinked
several times before the engine 'coughed' giving a little warning of the
impending problem.

regards,

Mike