RE: Europa-List: FW: EU Referendum - Electronic tagging.

Subject: RE: Europa-List: FW: EU Referendum - Electronic tagging.
From: Jeremy Davey <europaflyer3@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 12:14:00

My guess with Galileo is that providers of hardware will have to pay a fee
per device to the signal provider. Quite how that is to be done is not known
to me - but something similar to what BSkyB do would seem sensible.

It does have two key advantages over both GPS and the Russian system:

1) It is much more accurate (cm level)
2) It can't be turned off by the US government (unless they shoot down the
satellites, of course :-)). This means it can be used for safety-critical
uses like aircraft landing systems and automated train operation.

Personally, I'm not too hung up on what it'll be used for. There are a host
of options:

1) Tracking known terrorists and criminals through the chips in their mobile
phones
2) Systems that detect and fine middle-lane-hogs
3) Systems that detect and fine mothers who park on the double-yellow-lines
on blind corners outside schools
4) Systems that detect fly-tippers and enable them to be brought to book
5) Road-pricing systems that mean taxation is transferred from fuel duties
into road-use fees - meaning that those who a) try to avoid times of
congestion on the roads, b) live in the country and have no alternative, or
c) fly aeroplanes that run on mogas are rewarded

All in all, I agree with Patrick - most of what has been written or said is
just scare stories. My objections to the system will come when I find the
government is concentrating on me, the law-abiding citizen, instead of the
criminals. That is an altogether different matter, and one that is already a
problem.

Regards,
Jeremy

Jeremy Davey
Europa Monowheel 537M G-EZZA
Europa Club Vice-Chairman, Webmaster, PFA NC Representative
PFA EC Member
"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, then it is
possible you haven't grasped the severity of the situation."
Tail done
Standard XS wings with mods underway
CM installed in fuse (with airbrakes fittings)
1430 build hours to date, build currently stalled due to house moves and
lack of workshop
Intended fit:
Rotax 914 turbo, Airmaster CS fully-feathering prop
Lots of lights, buttons, switches, gizmos, and alarms