Re: Europa-List: FW: EU Referendum - Electronic tagging.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: FW: EU Referendum - Electronic tagging.
From: BEBERRY@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 04:15:52

According to various press comments on Galileo there is a threat that  we
shall have to pay for it's use, unlike GPS.   Some questions  arise..

1) presumably the US government will continue to provide GPS coverage  and we
can still use that.

2) How do they know we are using the Galilieo system?  As far as  the
aeroplane/car etc is concerned it is a passive system and does not  give off any

signal

3) If we are charged for having the aircraft/car etc fitted with a  receiver
- what is to prevent us using a handheld or mobile unit?

All in all I think that much of what has been said is just plain  scare
stories but nevertheless I am incensed that we shall all, in Europe,  be forking

out yet more in our taxes to provide a system which has no  advantages over the

present GPS but merely duplicates what we already have  courtsey of the US of
A at no charge. Anyway, given the usual progress of  government funded schemes

the best bet is that it will come in at treble  the estimated price and take
twice as long to get operational.

Patrick