Re: Europa-List: LAS taking on ACS orders in the UK

Subject: Re: Europa-List: LAS taking on ACS orders in the UK
From: R Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 14:49:57

Jeremy Davey wrote:

> I guess all the UK folks are aware the existing arrangements for local ACS
> orders have ended? I now see that LAS are taking them on and doing
> twice-weekly consolidated shipping of ACS parts before onward distribution.
>
> Does this fill everyone else with the same feeling of doom that it gives me?
> I=92ve found LAS to be utterly incapable of getting even simple orders right,
> outrageously expensive (typically 200%+ of the ACS cost for parts), liable
> to substitute parts without warning with their choice of equivalent, and
> prone to sending everything by courier without even checking if that=92s what
> you want.
>
> For example, one recent backorder of bits just got sent to me and they
> charged me extra postage for sending it! GBP13 of parts, plus GBP25.90 to
> send it by courier, when good old Royal Mail would have done it just as well
> for about GBP3. After waiting for the parts for a month, an extra 2 days
> wouldn=92t have been the end of the world. Needless to say I=92m fighting it!
>
> Cheers,
> Jeremy

I am puzzled - I dunno who LAS are.

In the past I asked ACS (Europe) to order my stuff and it
came direct from the US to me, normally with VAT and
handling added. (ACS (E) told me originally that "10% of
orders get caught for VAT". Actually it was 6 out of 7 !).

Then I started ordering my stuff on-line for delivery to
me here. Same result as above except that the order was
placed immediately rather than two days later by ACS (E).

Now I have a US contact who comes here twice a year, and I
go there twice a year. So I now order on-line for delivery
in Delaware. No tax, UPS Ground delivery charges, and that
is it ! 140 worth can be brought in each time with no
customs implications at all. I'll take the 5th as to
whether I have ever exceeded the 140 ! And I can track
the delivery every step (van/plane) on the way using the
UPS tracking system on the web.

Why on earth did you use a third party - LAS ?

Richard
G-OWWW - High Cross