RE: Cockpit Ventilation

Subject: RE: Cockpit Ventilation
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 09:21:42
This is what is fitted to ZK-UBD. With the NACA scoops open we get a howling
gale through the cockpit.

I must say that the cockpit is really snug and warm. We did a test flight at
7am yesterday morning with the ground temp at 3 celcius. Within twenty
minutes of flying around at 3000 feet we had to have the vents open to cool
us down.

Tony

ps ZK-UBD goes like a cut cat with the Airmaster prop fitted. Takeoff run
consists of opening the throttle, blinking twice and then lifting the tail,
it positively leaps off the ground at that point.

snip-----
it has occurred to me that if a small hole is drilled in the roof of the
fuselage at the rear of the baggage bay (after including the necessary
reinforcing) air will get extracted due to the negative pressure in this
area. The hole could be covered with a rearward facing close fitting
streamline cowl to prevent water ingress. Has any one done this or is there
any good reason why it is not a good idea?