Re: Europa-List: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz
From: Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 16:23:01

Ok Ive had a. Ha ce to fly mine with the GPS feed off.

As Duncan says below the display drops to show -||- but maintains the track last
set or you are holding when you switch it on.

The are no heading digits on the display so you will need use your compass/DI to
show that.

If you press the left or right  buttons then you can alter the track the AP is
following either left or right and a number appears which if you press the
button
you can increase or decrease after the AP locks on the numbers disappear and
you have the -||-  on the display.

Useful if you have a GPS failure but wouldnt want that as normal mode of
operation
so my suggestion is you need a GPS feed with the right NEMA message set to
get the most out of the AP and the ability for it to follow a track you have
programmed in is a bonus.

One word of caution, I have come across some GPS that dont put out any messages,
even the position message for driving a Transponder ADS-B output, unless there
is a track in the GPS. That was how some of the older version worked, GARMIN
430 and possible the early AVMAP were guilty of that.

Hope that helps.

Alan

Sent from my iPad

> On 10 Nov 2022, at 10:52, D McFadyean <ami-mcfadyean@talktalk.net> wrote:
>

> Digitrak only needs basic positional information from the GPS on a regular
> basis.
It will use this information to fly the track that has been set on the Digitrak.

> If a route is programmed in to the GPS, it will fly that too (with different
commands being set at the Digitrak control head to enable this), so long as the
GPS is also putting out the crosstrack error signal; not all of them do.