Re: Europa-List: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz
From: Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 17:38:34
I think I can help on this one and having flown with mine connected to
the Garmin 796 then I do the following.

I plan on a Tablet, RunwayHD, and get my Wx, NOTAM etc sorted. I don
=99t transfer anything direct o the 796. I could use the Garmin Pilot
app but, I don=99t have an active subscription,  then you can do
it through bluetooth but the 196 and 295 models don=99t have that.

I manually enter the plan into the 796, fairly easy to do as its touch
screen etc and i have the CAA chart option on mine so its displays
wither the Jepp Chart or the CAA Chart for the UK.

to Engage the Trutrack, apply power and display lights up with words OFF
on the display. There are three controls on/off and the a left =86=B6
and right=86=B7 arrows.

Push the On/Off button and the trutrackk engages and tracks the current
with the display changing to the magnetic track, say 270. The display
willl then alternate flashing the track digits and then -F- meaning is
has a track from the GPS. To engage push the two arrows simultaneous and
the trutrack will then turn the aircraft to engage the gps track and
maintain.

If you want to disengage the GPS track, push one of the arrows and it
will then display the current magnetic track and maintain that. To alter
that by using the left or right arrows to step to turn left or right
onto new track, say 260, to avoid something, and then if you want to
re-engage and the -F- symbol is alternating the the display push two
arrows simultaneously and the trutrac will then turn the aircraft to
re-engage the GPS track. It plans to join a track at about 30deg.

If you want to disengage the trutrack altogether then push the on/off
button or, if you have wired it, the alternate button you can connect
though the rear connector wiring - most people have this on the control
column for rapid disengage. then you are bak to manually flying with no
input drive from the APP servos.

That=99s best description I can do on email but if Wx and runway
conditions allow this then could easily demonstrate in a flight.

Alan

<rowlandcarson@gmail.com>

> On 2022-11-08, at 09:06, Dpc <dpc@knightonweb.com> wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately my Mac is an older one that doesn=99t have the
M1/2 chip and I don=99t have a PC, but you=99re right that
this would work for file transfer.

>> When you use your GPSmap 296 to fly a route with the Trutrak, can you
easily =98override=99 or cancel that route and choose a
different track, but yet continue to use the 296 to provide GPS
location/track info to the Trutrak? Reprogramming the 296 in flight with
a temporary new track, would seem fiddly compared to just punching in a
new track number to the Trutrak box?

> David - as I said, my aircraft is not yet flying so I can=99t
answer that properly, but I think your assumption is probably right. I
have flown pre-programmed tracks with the Garmin GPSmap296 in C150s etc
(but obviously not coupled to an autopilot!). I try not to fiddle with
tracks on the GPS in the air but revert to the chart if I have to divert
---From the plan.

> I=99ve had another thought - I think you should be able to save
a SkyDemon GPX file to iCloud on the iPad (Files app) and then pull it
off iCloud onto your Mac for transfer. Still need the USB-serial cable
and LoadMyTracks.