Re: Europa-List: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz
From: Dpc <dpc@knightonweb.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 18:43:11

Alan.

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. You clearly know a lot about this!

I was not planning to link the AP to follow a flight track which I had
pre-programmed
into a GPS as I only use SkyDemon on an iPad for GPS navigation, and that
has no output capability (as far as I know). However I was planning to use
the APs controller display to manually input the GPS track I wanted and for the
AP to get its reference about whether to turn or not, from a dedicated GPS feed,
which is where the idea of the puck came in (since the pucks looked small
and neat). I hadnt planned to get it to follow a magnetic heading using the APs
own magnetometer (unless Im missing something here - why would it then need
a GPS if its just controlling to a magnetic heading that it senses itself ?)

However, it seems that the pucks wont (easily) give me what the AP needs to
steer
a manually inputted GPS track.

Do you think my not-currently-used-and-rather-clunky Skymap IIIC might give the
GPS output required for the AP to follow a manually inputted desired track?

Many thanks for all your advice.

David

> On 7 Nov 2022, at 17:29, Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk> wrote:
>

> I think its more fundamental than that.
>
> I have a DigiTrack TruTrack fitted to mine and connected to a Garmin 796,
> previously
a AVMAP EKP V, and it needed the RMB and RMC data from these to work.
Id have to check but I dont think the GPS Pucks give out those messages.

> If you have the manual then the 4800 baud is recommended so as not to overrun
the input processing of messages and giving false steering.

> The Pucks can be programmed as you say but you need to make sure that the new
settings are retained, usually with an internal battery which if not retaining
its change will lose the almanac and any changes over time as the battery
deteriorates.

> The TrueTrack needs RS232 at +/- 12v most pucks are 5v logic levels and wont
drive it.

> f you are only using a puck I guess you are not using the track following from
a GPS mode but wish to use the internal Magnetometer to steer a magnetic track
and you will need the RMB and RMS messages from the GPS to set it up to start
with after that it should just work from the internal magnetometer.

> Alan
>

>> On 7 Nov 2022, at 17:06, Davidcripps <dpc@knightonweb.com> wrote:
>>

>> I have a pre-used Digitrak Trutrak AP that I plan to fit to our Europa. Are
there any experts out there that can tell me whether the Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz puck
that I have been offered, will work as a feed to it? As far as I can understand
---From the various manuals, the Trutrak can only be set up to 9600 baud,
whereas
the default baud in the 18x 5Hz is 19200. It seems possible to reprogram
the 18x 5Hz to 9600 baud but the process looks very complicated for those of
us not used to Garmin code (and who also don't have a PC with serial port!)!
Alternatively,
are there any simpler 'plug and play' GPS 'pucks' that have been
found to work well with the Trutrak? Thanks!