Re: Europa-List: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz
From: Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 17:44:22

David, this is a link to the Garmin GPS18x if you have not already seen it:
https://static.garmin.com/pumac/GPS_18x_Tech_Specs.pdf

The device only outputs the RMC position message and not the RMB tracking
message.

There are also three variants and the 18x 5Hz according to the manual is a 0-12v
signal output where as standard RS232 is +/- 12v swing.

Bottom line - not sure I can help further.

Alan

> On 7 Nov 2022, at 17:06, Davidcripps <dpc@knightonweb.com> wrote:
>

> I have a pre-used Digitrak Trutrak AP that I plan to fit to our Europa. Are
> there
any experts out there that can tell me whether the Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz puck
that I have been offered, will work as a feed to it? As far as I can understand
---From the various manuals, the Trutrak can only be set up to 9600 baud,
whereas
the default baud in the 18x 5Hz is 19200. It seems possible to reprogram
the 18x 5Hz to 9600 baud but the process looks very complicated for those of us
not used to Garmin code (and who also don't have a PC with serial port!)!
Alternatively,
are there any simpler 'plug and play' GPS 'pucks' that have been
found to work well with the Trutrak? Thanks!