Europa-List: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 1/31 - 2/7

Subject: Europa-List: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 1/31 - 2/7
From: DuaneFamly <DuaneFamly@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 23:09:55

I didn't want to drive the 5 hour round trip from Chandler to Tucson to drop off
our two doggies at a friend's house for them to watch for us while we are gone.
So I decided to see how our Schnauzer Sallie and our Chihuahua Arti would
take to flying.
The forecast was for winds 8-10 mph straight down the runway in the morning with
winds increasing in the afternoon. So I decided to make the 45 min flight at
about 10:30 and get back by 1 pm.
Something should have warned my when I got to the airport and the winds were
already
13mph with gusts to 17. But they were still close to the runway heading.

I packed the dogs gear, strapped them into the passenger seat and was very happy
the Arti didn't freak out when I started the engine. And was very happy when
I went full throttle for take off.
The ride down was a little bumpy but mostly crossing over any hills. I arrived
at Ryan Airport with their winds 10 degrees off the runway heading by at 15 with
higher gusts. Landed without issue and taxied to the on-field restaurant plane
parking. The dogs had to get out for a potty break. My friends were delayed
by about 30 minutes but eventually arrived. Handoff completed, took off to get
back before the winds picked up.
On the way back up, I started to notice all the dust devils out on the desert.
Upon arrival, I was met with the ATIS announcing winds 45 degrees from the right
at 20 with gusts to 25 mph. I knew I was in for an interesting landing. When
I turned on final, I needed to really crab to the right to stay on the
centerline.
AND even though I slowed to 70 mph, she didn't want to start te descent
until I added full flaps (2nd mistake). I carried just a bit more speed and she
just floated above the runway like a drunken sailor. When I hadn't touched
by midfield and unstable as heck, I chose to go around. My next attempt, I
remembered
to only use 1/2 flap (I fly a conventional gear with electric flaps),
got to 70 mph and after passing the building near the end of the runway that
seemed
to cause the winds to roll and tumble, I was able to crab all the way down
on the centerline, pull the throttle, kick the rudder and she touched and
stayed.

This was the most demanding landing condition for me to date. I definitely do
not
want to do that again.

--------
Mike Duane