Re: Europa-List: Cowl mods for front belt driven alternator

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Cowl mods for front belt driven alternator
From: Kevin Klinefelter <klinefelter.kevin@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 05:34:21

833 lbs is fantastic. My XS Mono/914/Airmaster came out weighing 50 lbs more!
Thinking
about that lighter mono wheel and brake to shave off, how much was it?
Kevin

> On Jan 28, 2014, at 4:37 AM, "David Joyce" <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk> wrote:

> Grahah, Aother point is that although Roger Targett probably did spray 20 lbs
of gel coat on my plane I am certain that I wet & dry sanded more than half of
that off, and my 914 mono has ended up as one of the lighter ones around (at
833lbs) in spite of a very full range of kit. David

> GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> Having re read what I said I take your point, oversimplification.Nevertheless
it's surface imperfections
>> ie any bump or hollow more than a couple of thou over a 2" length is too
>> much.
2000
>> grit finish is probably as good as it needs for performance.
>> Bird's wings intrigue me, there are incredibly efficient. I'd love to see a
comparison of the fuel burn
>> of an albatross or an arctic tern with a Europa. Grey Lag goose might be
>> interestin
too. How far do they fly without refueling?
>> Point being I guess boundary layer control is everything, vortex generators
had an amazing effect on my Long EZ,
>> lowered the stall by 9 kts and little effect at higher speeds. (didn't get
>> chance
to measure it but the mod developer claims only 2kts
>> penalty. Graham
>> ________________________________
>> From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
>> To: europa-list@matronics.com Sent: Tuesday, 28 January 2014, 9:39
>> Subject: Re: Europa-List: Cowl mods for front belt driven alternator
>> Graham, Are you sure?   You usually are, but competition gliders are produced
with amazing attention to their finish - gel coat rubbed down progressively
to 2000 grit and then polished with hard wax. We share their laminar flow
aerofoils
which are said to be highly sensitive to surface imperfections.
>>   Regards, David Joyce G-XSDJ (with gel coat finish!)
>> GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>> The lightest Mono I know of was less than 750lbs. A showroom finish must
>>> weigh
20 lbs