RE: Europa-List: Cowl mods for front belt driven alternator

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Cowl mods for front belt driven alternator
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 00:00:51
=0A
Greg=2C
I hope you don't get too carried away.  Every ounce you add=2C or increase
to the frontal area=2C the more performance you loose.

To see an example of one of my cowl mods=2C look at  Jerry Hope's 914 with
belt drive alternator. (www.customflightcreations.com click on accessories
and tips.) I cut the front of the cowl off=2C and Jerry and I made a floppy
 glass cover then began the task of filling=2C smoothing=2C making a mirror
 image for the other side and continuously checking for clearance for the b
elt and pulley.  I made a mold of the front early on and it is rough.  I sh
ould have cleaned it up.  The belt drive alternator really does deliver the
 amps.
Note in the photo=2C you can see the alternator is right up against the int
ake opening.  It also extends the cowl forward about 1/8-1/4 inch because o
f the pulley.

I still believe my Europa simple VFR cruiser is the best idea.
All LEDs=2C (including the feeble Kuntzelman landing light at .6 amp)=2C no
 pitot heat=2C all EFIS and light draw radio/transponder=2C keeps my amps i
n check.  Even with all my toys running=2C I do not draw over 15 amps until
 I key the mic button.

If I do go on to do a light IFR (health permitting) I'll add a Garming Nav
Com like the SL30=2C and purchase a simple pitot heat (like Angus Aviation/
Dynon).  I'll add an Aux battery and an Alternator to the back of the gearb
ox to power the pitot heat and a proper landing light for night.  (Aveo has
 an LED unit=2C which is expensive=2C but bright.  I still would prefer an
HID light=2C however check out the new 13000 Lumen flashlights by Trusfire.
)
The aux battery and alternator will most likely be similar to the B&Cs smal
l unit which will keep the aux battery charged but only have enough battery
 life for about 30 minutes at idle for the HID/or LED light and supply the
pitot heat for just the time necessary to penetrate a thin deck. Just the r
amblings of an experimenter.Regards=2CBud