Re: Europa-List: part #'s for CHT probes?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: part #'s for CHT probes?
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:38:03

> Has anyone used the Rotax supplied probe (the one in
> the head) successfully with a VDO gauge?  If so, will
> it hook directly to the VDO gauge, or does it require
> some sort of adapter?  What, if any, difference should
> I expect in reported temps?  Any help is greatly
> appreciated...

Here on the eastern side of the pond the Rotax engine
comes with four VDO instruments (voltmeter, oil pressure,
oil temp and ch temp - the last two are the same).

The VDO instruments are designed for the Rotax senders (or
rather I suppose the senders are designed for the VDO
instruments).

ACS sell a much cheaper oil pressure sender. The
temperature senders in the Rotax there are three - the one
used for oil is the same as the one used for CHT - are
metric and there isn't much of a choice when replacing them.

If you want water temp (rather than cylinder head temp)
then use a imperial thread sender designed for VDO and
either tap it into the top water reservoir, or into a
T-piece on the pipe out of the reservoir.

Richard Holder
G-OWWW High Cross