Re: Europa-List: part #'s for CHT probes?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: part #'s for CHT probes?
From: Rman <topglock@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 21:53:41

Cliff and anyone else who can help,

I installed a VDO water temp probe in the large hose, exiting the
coolant pot.  Temps are reported at 190 to 220 degrees, which I consider
very good for the 912S, however, My CHT, as reported by the spark plug
probe, reads around 275, most of the time.  I realize that the temp at
the base of the plug is probably the hottest spot on the engine, but is
this something I should be concerned about?

Has anyone used the Rotax supplied probe (the one in the head)
successfully with a VDO gauge?  If so, will it hook directly to the VDO
gauge, or does it require some sort of adapter?  What, if any,
difference should I expect in reported temps?  Any help is greatly
appreciated...

Jeff - N55XS
133 hours

Cliff Shaw wrote:

> D Wysong
>
> I worried about that too. I did not find good references as to what I should
see if I did install spark plug sensors.

> The real question you need answered is "what is the H2O temperature"  This is
the "hotspot" in the Rotax 912S.  (you don't wnat it boiling over)  I installed
a probe in the "coolant pot" using a alum nipple I had welded to the pot.
Now I read the hot water temp on CHT . ( just like oil temp)