Re: Europa-List: Wing skin separation HELP

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Wing skin separation HELP
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 13:16:52

My attempt to soften Redux, after it had cured a couple weeks, was too a
failure.  Too much heat required, verses heat to damage the glass
structure, which conducts heat poorly to get at the green stuff.  For my
safety at least, I would be assuming this procedure might give me a
potential airworthiness problem to forever worry me in severe
turbulence.

I'm surprised the factory would advise -- not knowing any builder's
skill level -- removal by any method other than panel destruction and
replacement (requiring essentially $$, that's all!).  Otherwise a
Hobson's choice on structural integrity, attempting a fix, the moral
equivalent of "don't force it...use a bigger hammer."

I don't have this style wing, but merely perused the XS manual online.
It's my opinion that the primary purpose of the tapes is such that
improper orientation of the fibers matters only a little, but I have no
credentials to say that.  But, when we add two more tapes, we do stiffen
the ass'y there further, concentrating stresses elsewhere.  That could
mean a "seven yard gain, with a five yard penalty," as in U.S. football.
So, if the factory can analyze that one with engineering analysis to say
no harm, they should be able to say computationally why -- in stress
paths -- 90 on the tapes is not good.  Or more likely just their gut
reaction and "usual rules" for FG construction.

The only thing I would not do was a fix which may compromise the
structure worse than the original problem.

Reg,
Fred F. (nickname "Hobson")