RE: Europa-List: Wing skin separation HELP

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Wing skin separation HELP
From: Andrew Sarangan <asarangan@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:26:01

I doubt you will be able to soften the Araldite without deforming the
top skin. I would not try to save the skin, but focus on saving the
bottom mating flange. If you lose that flange, life could get more
difficult. One option is to cut through the top skin, and then grind
away the remaining portion bonded to the flange.

My feeling is that the reinforcement plies can't be all that critical
to warrant compromising the entire integrity of the wing. I would
proceed with the construction and evaluate the options as the projects
gets closer to the end.

I decided a long time ago not to bond the top skin until the aircraft
is almost ready to fly. Bonding the skin does not take a lot of time,
and you never know what you might want to install at the last minute.
It is better to keep the options open as long as possible.

Andrew Sarangan
http://www.sarangan.org