RE: Europa-List: RE: fitting gascolator

Subject: RE: Europa-List: RE: fitting gascolator
From: James <jthursby@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 12:06:42

I guess I'll reply now that this has gotten heated.  There are those that
have gotten crud in those filters, and those that will.  You CAN NOT clean
the plastic tank out fully after drilling it.  Not water or air or gasoline
will dislodge all the swarf. Only time and some aerobatics seem to help
dislodge the junk.  If you have flown your plane since new with no crud in
the filters, you are either EXTREMELY lucky or flying on borrowed time. A
914 WILL quit if the filter clogs!  I have the four deadstick landings, and
five precautionary landings to prove it!  Water can get in the topside
fillers and vents.  I have one deadstick from almost three quarts in the
tank to prove THAT.  I switched to the reserve side to check flow and it
promptly quit.  Switching back to the main side did not help, seems the bing
carbs won't work with just H2O filling the float bowls.;-) You need drains
and a good high flow separator/filter setup.  Just make sure to check the
filters often.

  Jim T.