avionics-any bargains?

Subject: avionics-any bargains?
From: BRYNALL@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 16:26:20
    Dear Europals

    I am just starting to look at equiping my avionics panel. Like most other
builders, this is the first time ( and probably the only time ) that I have
attempted to do this,- but others have been there before me!
    If I listen to the general wisdoms I should only equip for VFR, thus
leaving out your VORs,ADFs etc., but leaving in a transponder, a radio, plus
the usual attitude display for the odd occassion when a cloud flies into you.
    Although the rotax engine has the appropriate sensors built in, I believe
that we have to purchase the engine readout instrumentation. We also have to
purchase a vacuum pump if we are to buy gyro instuments in the lowerprice
range, plus the extra cost of having a vacuum pump drive spindle fitted to
the engine gearbox. Electrically driven equipment costs several times as much
as the wind driven stuff, and takes power from the limited source allowed to
us by Rotax.
   It would also appear that there is a whole miscellany of widgets and
wotsits required to knit the compendum of round and square things into a
working panel.
   That, dear friends, is the limmit of my knowledge at this time.., and even
that is probably in need of help. So, please can any of those who have trod
this path before give me some good advice?

   Does anyone have any left over equipment to sell at a sensible price?
   What should the buyer be wary of?
   What would you do, or not do, if you were me?
   Is it possible to build a decent panel without spending #5000 ($8400) or
more?

   brynall@aol.com