Tail wheel

Subject: Tail wheel
From: Tennant <Tennant@tonline.de>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 13:03:59
Hi Folks!
Can anyone tell me some details about what is involved in fitting the new tail

wheel mod to a complete airplane??

To help answer the recent question on performance and way lay any fears, I am
far from completing my testing but I have so far measured that on D-EHBT (912
engine) with 17 prop and constant 5000 RPM I get a 2 way GPS reading of 119 KTS

with fuel burn of 14,9 L/Hr. At 5100 RPM the speed is 120+ but I have not
checked the fuel flow yet at this RPM. It seems that the prop can take another

1/2 - 1 which should give my aim of over 120 KTS at 18 L/Hr and 5000 RPM (75%)

Top speed is a bit over 130 KTS but this is only of acedemic interest. I do not

think that any of us fly flat out all day.

When posting performance figures it is helpful to let us know the fuel flow at

these speeds / RPM / Prop angle as it is a good indication of the power setting.

We all have different ways of flying and some like to cruise quietly at 4000 RPM

and others want to attain the maximum out of the machine. I would bet that there

is not such a difference in the various planes, only in flying style and prop
angle.

The handling in the air is special!! All controls are so well balanced. It is
difficult to stop myself from throwing it around, but on the other hand it is
extremely stable in the cruise, even in rough air. Why don't they make all
planes handle like this??

Now if Europa can work out some way to reduce my landing fees and take the
nervous TO/LDG ground handling away the plane will be perfect!!

It is strange that when you are flying a 180HP spam can at 38 L/Hr of Avgas you

do not consider the cost of landing fees because it is a very small portion of

the cost of flying. Now my landing fees at our home field are exactly the same

as one Hours fuel for flying!!!

Best regards

Barry Tennant D-EHBT