Re: avionics-any bargains?

Subject: Re: avionics-any bargains?
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 13:19:13

> the usual attitude display for the odd occassion when a cloud flies into
> you.<<

It's also handy when all you can see out the front is 8000' of mountain! I
never thought I would value an AH flying (true) VFR until taking off from
Queenstown in NZ... turn right after takeoff and the horizon is replaced by a
wall of granite. Thoroughly convinced me that an AH is useful. Of course if
you are in practice then you can do it all with a turn & skid and VSI. Kit
Planes recently had a very good article by Peter Lert explaining how to use
the Garmin GPS 195 to precision fly in emergencies. Of course Peter has just
a _few_ hours more flying experience than most of us!

> The next most useful piece of kit is a Navaid wing leveller to keep the
> bird straight while you try to read your map, single crew, VFR and
> threading between controlled airspace.

Anyone want to buy an electric turn & slip, yours for USD250 :-)

I would add a good GPS to the essentials list these days. Having one on board
has cut down my in flight workload leaving more time to keep eyes outside
watching out for pilots who have their heads buried in reams of paper!

Tony

Tony Krzyzewski    tonyk@kaon.co.nz
Managing Director  Ph 64 9 520 4631
Kaon Technologies  Fx 64 9 520 3321