Re: SV: Europa-List: Re: wing lift/drag pins

Subject: Re: SV: Europa-List: Re: wing lift/drag pins
From: Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 09:54:23
Thx Graham,

My sentiments exactly.

And to the question of why the spars are strapped together, and why one pin h
as to be a pip pin, is because we have simple overlapping spars, and not for
k spars, so the asymmetrical load on the pins wants to twist them off, as th
e spar ends gets forced away from the other spar.

Cheers,
Pete

On Jul 2, 2013, at 8:19 AM, GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com
> wrote:

> Svein
> I admire your patience and courtesy,  the persistent deniers on this tread
 have
> just about exhausted mine! First of all one should start with the facts; w
hen a wing
> fails due to high positive load it claps forwards. Saying "I don't believe
 it because it
> doesn't fit my understanding or theory might be described as "an academic r
eaction to an inconvenient truth"
> This "forward lift component" is very counter intuitive, the only way to a
pproach it is to
> refer to a diagram like yours. The criterion a lot of people overlook is t
hat lift is
> perpendicular to line of flight, which is NOT parallel with the centre lin
e of the fuselage.
> Nor is it 180deg from the line of gravity.
> Graham

 I agree with his statement about L/D  - the vectors are not to scale at all
, and were not intended to be.  I realize, however, that I should have empha
sized this and also increased the length of the wing drag vector at the high
 AOA illustration, but this has no bearing on the lift component issue.

> My message =93 and illustration - had two purposes, which perhaps yo
ur friend was not aware of:

> -          To show that lift has no component in the direction of flight, r
egardless of the angle of attack, while lift may have a =9Cforward
=9D component, if "forward" means the direction the nose is pointing.
> -          To show that a glider is pulled forward (in the direction of gl
iding flight) by gravity, not by any lift component.

> I have not made any calculation of the magnitude of the =9Cforward
=9D lift component vs. drag on Europa or any other airplane, which is why
 I just referred to arguments and observations presented by others:   "At so
me point it may, as I read the discussion, become larger than the wing DRAG
=99s component parallel to the centerline in the opposite direction, givi
ng a net =9Cforward=9D force on the wing."   The magnitude of su
ch a =9Cforward=9D component is only dependent on the magnitude o
f the lift and the angle between the centerline and the direction of flight.
  The magnitude of drag does not come in here.  The resultant force on the w
ing, however, and whether it acts =9Cforward=9D or =9Cback
ward=9D, depends also on the drag magnitude.

> I apologize if I have caused any confusion about wing L/D vs. AOA (I don
=99t really think I have, though!)

ref="http://www.matronics.com/contribution";>h

=========
=========