Re: Europa-List: Re: Classic Foam Wings

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Classic Foam Wings
From: nigel_graham@m-tecque.co.uk <nigelgraham@mtecque.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 19:46:10

My classic manual is issue 2 and dated 9th December 1994 and that makes
reference to Bi-Axial. I seem to recall that the prototype was
constructed using uni, but all production build instructions refer to
Bi-Axial.
Either way, using equal weight Uni is perfectly acceptable, just pay
attention to the orientation of the cloth (+/-45 deg.) particularly as
you roll over the leading edge. A good tip is to gently mark the
orientation on the foam with a felt marker to give you something to
follow (I may be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs here).
It will probably be easier to work with uni than the originally
specified Bi-axial though I would recommend working with a helper to
keep you supplied with regular batches of freshly mixed resin. It's a
big lay-up and must be done in one go. Another tip not referenced in the
manual is to use peel ply over the whole surface, it will pay dividends
when you come to fill the finished wing (another joyous task). Last tip
is NOT to over sand the sharp profile of the lower leading edge foam
blocks. It is intentional and is critical to the stall characteristics
of the finished wing.

These XS boys don't know what they've missed ;-)

Nigel