Re: Europa-List: Re: Classic Foam Wings

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Classic Foam Wings
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 20:22:48
Nigel=0AI built two or three sets of wings, all with UNI. Imho much better
than biaxial in this-application. For some reason my pages of the wing co
nstruction are missing!=0A=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A_______________________________
_=0A From: "nigel_graham@m-tecque.co.uk" <nigel_graham@m-tecque.co.uk>=0ATo
: "europa-list@matronics.com" <europa-list@matronics.com> =0ASent: Wednesda
y, 20 February 2013, 19:46=0ASubject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Classic Foam Win
nigel_graham@m-tecque.co.uk>=0A=0A=0AMy classic manual is issue 2 and dated
 9th December 1994 and that makes=0Areference to Bi-Axial. I seem to recall
 that the prototype was=0Aconstructed using uni, but all production build i
nstructions refer to=0ABi-Axial.=0AEither way, using equal weight Uni is pe
rfectly acceptable, just pay=0Aattention to the orientation of the cloth (+
/-45 deg.) particularly as=0Ayou roll over the leading edge. A good tip is
to gently mark the=0Aorientation on the foam with a felt marker to give you
 something to=0Afollow (I may be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs here)
.=0AIt will probably be easier to work with uni than the originally=0Aspeci
fied Bi-axial though I would recommend working with a helper to=0Akeep you
supplied with regular batches of freshly mixed resin. It's a=0Abig lay-up a
nd must be done in one go. Another tip not referenced in the=0Amanual is to
 use peel ply over the whole surface, it will pay dividends=0Awhen you come
 to fill the finished wing (another joyous task). Last tip=0Ais NOT to over
 sand the sharp profile of the lower leading edge foam=0Ablocks. It is inte
ntional and is critical to the stall characteristics=0Aof the finished wing
.=0A=0AThese XS boys don't know what they've missed ;-)=0A=0ANigel=0A=0AOn
20/02/2013 14:28, spcialeffects@aol.com wrote:=0A> Hi Nigel thanks for the
reply. I am a member of about two years now=0A> but the wing build chapter
I was after was the one before that one=0A> which uses uni to skin the wing
s and not the biaxial cloth. Thanks all=0A> the same=0A>=0A> Sent from my H
TC=0A>=0A> ----- Reply message -----=0A> From: "nigel_graham@m-tecque.co.uk
" <nigel_graham@m-tecque.co.uk>=0A> To: <europa-list@matronics.com>=0A> Cc:
 "spcialeffects" <spcialeffects@aol.com>=0A> Subject: Europa-List: Re: Clas
sic Foam Wings=0A> Date: Wed, Feb 20, 2013 14:19=0A>=0A>=0A> A pdf copy of
the "Classic" manual can be found at the font of all=0A> Europa knowledge -
 The Europa Club website.=0A>=0A> Here is a link to the "Wing Build" sectio
n:=0A> http://www.theeuropaclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Wing-Build.p
df=0A>=0A> If you're not already a member, you might wish to consider joini
ng as=0A> there is a huge pool of expertise amongst the members ....... and
=0A> they're nice people!=0A>=0A> Happy building=0A>=0A> Nigel=0A>=0A> On 2
0/02/2013 09:39, spcialeffects wrote:=0A> > --> Europa-List message posted
by: "spcialeffects"=0A> <spcialeffects@aol.com>=0A> >=0A> > The story so fa
r, I'm unable to find the correct spec biaxial cloth=0A> and have to go the
 2 ply's of uni route to cover my wings, however I=0A> don't have the early
 manual which tells you how to do it so does=0A> anyone have it that can se
nd it to me on a PDF? Menu thanks.=0A> Spcialeffects@aol.com=0A> >=0A> >=0A
> >=0A> >=0A> > Read this topic online here:=0A> >=0A> > http://forums.matr
onics.com/viewtopic.php?p=394642#394642=0A> >=0A> >=0A> >=0A> >=0A> >=0A>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Matt Dralle, List
======