Re: Europa-List: Emergency parachutes, opinions?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Emergency parachutes, opinions?
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 01:24:29

Richard Churchill-Coleman wrote:

> Hi Frans,
>
> I'm one of those rare pilots who also enjoys baling out of serviceable
> aircraft as a pastime.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.
One reason I asked was that I heard the story of one Dutch homebuilder
who was found in mounteneous terrain. Examination revealed that he got
struck by lightning, because the controls where welded and could not be
moved. Estimates where that he had been a passenger in his own airplane
for some 20 minutes until he finally hit a mountain. He was alive until
the moment of impact.

I imagine that he would have had a fair chance if he would have had a
parachute. So this triggered the idea that parachutes might be a "must
have" option.
So, hence my question about the odds of getting out in level flight at
cruise speed. Your suggestion about slowing down to almost stall speed
doesn't apply here, but I guess the idea remains the same. ;-)

I further assumed that a jump out over rough terrain (rocks, trees)
would be a walk away, but apparently it is not that easy.  So I
underestimate the landing speed and/or forward speed. Could you give me
an estimate about these?
If bailing out over rough terrain does not improve chances of survival
very much then a significant part of the reasons to consider a parachute
is gone.

Same with a water landing, you took that away as well. ;-)

> Given the choice, I would spend the money and the weight allowance on a fire
> extinguisher, first aid kit and EPIRB instead.

Ok, guess you are right. I will think about it some more.

Thanks!

Frans