Re: Europa-List: Emergency parachutes, opinions?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Emergency parachutes, opinions?
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:50:10

> I'm wondering what the weight penalty would be for a BRS (airplane
> chute)? I guess that apart from the weight of the cute it will also be
> necessary to reinforce the attachment points for the chute.

Frans,

I assume the weight of the BRS is around 35 kg + all the possible type specified
reinforcements needed.

 It could
> however be an interesting alternative, but of course worthless in case
> of a fire or a severe structural failure.

Useless when fire but most structural cases probably ok because you do not need
wings /tailplanes/rudder/fin/engine when landing with a chute. It is fixed just
behind the cockpit.

There was an interesting article in EAAs Sport Pilot (December 2009, pages
44-45).
A test deployment of an early version of a whole-aircraft parachute recovery
system was 1983. It was almost a disaster because testpilot contacted power
lines and then landed to a major highway (in true California surfer-dude style,
he was wearing sandals only). Since that BRS has saved 240 lives so far,
according
to the company.

Can the airplane be reused
> after a BRS deployment?

I think it is written off and only spares after landing but pilot and passengers
can reuse their lives!

Raimo OH-XRT