Re: Europa-List: Re: Strobe wiring

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Strobe wiring
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 22:01:25

rparigoris wrote:
> <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
>
> Hi Frans
>
> I just received torroids from Aircraft Spruce (for Quickie Antenna
> kit). Do you by chance know why one side of the torroids are painted
> white? The torroid was painted green by Mfg. then they painted one
> side white.

I have to admit that I'm not an expert on torroids. I think this is just
a color coding, to describe the parameters of the torroid. For our
purpose, these parameters are not really critical.

> If I slip them on antenna cable (no multi turn choke style wrapping
> going on), is there a prefered way to install with regard to white
> painted side?

They are equal on both sides.

> Another question on your install, you put 10 turns and more torroids
> by baggage bulkhead, could you have put those 10 turns and more
> torroids by radio?

No. You want to isolate the antenna from the outside of the cable. If
you would put the torroids on the radio end, this would mean that the
entire length of the antenna cable is granted to receive and radiate to
the adjacent cables. This is exactly what you would like to prevent.

Let me know what difference you experience with these changes.

--
Best regards,
Frans Veldman