RE: Europa-List: Jab3300 Cowlings

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Jab3300 Cowlings
From: Robert C Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:16:45
Hi! Mike
>From one who has =93been and done!=94
It is a mandatory requirement in the UK that the top cowl has a pair of
permanent clips either side of the spinner(almost under the spinner).
The clips are bent in the shape of a letter =93L=94 inverted and pop
riveted
to the lower cowl so that by depressing the top cowl the short leg of
the =93L=94 will engage into a slot on the top cowl. I believe it was as
Jabiru Mod. that mandated it. (all as a result of someone=92s cowl
departing in flight.) This supplements the standard Jabiru clips with
=93R=94 safety clips.
My Top Cowl installation at the rear  was (and still is with the new
Rotax) engaged into four tapered pins set into the firewall. (This
eliminates any possibility of rain water accessing the cabin/panel
through screw holes) I used four of the Europa tapered door pins with
the mating sockets glassed into the underside of the rear of the top
cowl.
I needed =BC=94 gap between the front of the cowl and the spinner to
first
engage the tapered pins and drop the front to receive the clips and
Jabiru clips.
This makes for a very quick and convenient cowl removal.
Hopefully your cowl is ex-Jabiru and has flanges round top and lower
horizontal mating edges?
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG (Was Jab 3300 now 914 Rotax.)